Saturday, July 31, 2010

The end is near, and so I face, the final curtain...

Gotta love a little Frank Sinatra quote for a post title right? In case you're blanking on the song, it's My Way.

Anyway, I'm back. Sadly, with this post is the end of my journey. Only about a month and a half. However, I may not have been completely honest with my journey. I have a pile of shoe boxes in my bedroom, right next to a bag of clothes that have been waiting to go to Goodwill/Salvation Army/Plato's Closet for months now. Stuff that's too big, I don't wear, or don't like. The shoes in the pile are ones that I haven't worn in a long time or that I just am not quite as big a fan of anymore as I used to be. I suppose I could let this go for another week or so and wear them all. Kind of "Last Hurrah" type thing... Anyway... here's what I've got from the last week of the challenge.
Last Friday, I went with orange flip flops, dark skinny jeans and this really cute orangey/peach t-shirt from NY&Co. Per usual, they were comfy and all that jazz. After work I met up with a good friend from high school and we got pedicures together and then went for dinner. It was really nice to hang out with her since we really don't get to see each other much. I hadn't ever had a pedicure around here, usually they were saved for special occasions. Visiting my cousin in Texas, for example. But, the place we went to was pretty sweet and the pedicures were fabulous!!
Saturday, it was pretty warm out so I went with jean shorts and a beige/gold tank top and my brown flip flops. Yes, this was the FINAL pair of Old Navy flip flops.
What do you think of the new nail polish, eh? Not quite as classy as the French tips that I normally go for, but we decided to be fun and sparkly.
That day I went to the mall with a friend to help her find a birthday gift for her girlfriend. We had a pretty fun time, but it took us a while to get to the mall since it rained like WHOA. The weather was so weird that day. One minute it was hot and humid and sunny, and the next, I looked outside and it was raining. On my way to pick her up I had to go about 40 on the highway because it was raining so hard I could barely see!
Sunday was much nicer. Still humid, but not quite as hot. One of our "couple" friends were in the area for a wedding and we made plans to meet up for lunch. We went to Zen in Northampton for sushi. It was DELICIOUS! Then we walked around NoHo for a while, they were having their sidewalk sale last weekend. That night, the boy and I just hung out at the apartment together. Relaxing and such. Also, pretty fun. It was also the day I debuted the other pair of sandals I bought at Target the other day.
I know I said before that I'm not really a big fan of T-strap sandals usually. But, my cousin had a pair similar to these and my sister also has these... yet another pair of shoes that she and I have in common. And, well, they're really cute. And they don't look ridiculous on me either, which is a big part of why I'd never really thought about getting T-strap sandals. Which, I guess is a little silly since my "wedding shoes" that I showed a few posts ago, are also T-straps. *shrug* Who knows. I guess my tastes are changing and I'm getting more adventurous! lol

Monday I had to rock these babies...
They've actually been sitting in the "get rid of" pile for a few months now. I bought them a few years ago and just never wore them that much. I LOOOOVE them, don't get me wrong. Pink. With POLKA DOTS!!! I mean, how could you go wrong? But, they squinch my toes really bad and I can't walk much with them. So, I am going to get rid of them, but this was their last hurrah! They are really cute though, don't you think????

A few years ago I was on a mission to find gold heels. I don't really remember why I NEEDED them so badly. But, I did. I was on my mission for a while when my mom and I were shopping one time and found a pair at Macy's.
If you look closely at the middle picture you can see that I've actually gotten a lot of wear out of these. The heel is all worn off and the bottoms are all scuffed to hell! But, they're adorable and I love them! I don't remember what I wore with these, but it's ok, I think the cuteness makes up for it. The only thing that is kind of a bummer about them is that they're actually a 6 1/2. Which, if you recall from any number of earlier posts, is a full size bigger than what I normally wear. In slingbacks and sandals like these I can usually get away with wearing a 6, but with closed-toe/closed-back heels I need a 5 1/2. So, these are a little big and I should probably let them go to shoe heaven and fine a new pair of gold heels, but I don't really wear them all that much anyway, so why not keep them around a little longer, right?

I mentioned previously about my boots, etc. and how I hadn't really thought this whole challenge completely through since I have a few pairs of boots that would be a bit warm for June/July. But, I couldn't just brush them to the side and say no. I had to wear them. Enter, the "clunky" shoes. When I was in high school and in college, I thought I was hot shit because I had these black platform shoes. I wore them out. They were like the only shoes I'd wear. But, when the laces broke and they started to fall apart I needed new ones. So, I found a pair at RAVE.
Yeah, I know. And, yes, they're pierced, too. Also, they're a size 7 because apparently when I tried them on in the store I convinced myself that the 7 fit and that they weren't too big. Plus, if I remember correctly, they didn't have a 6 or 6 1/2. These should probably go in the pile to go away, but I do like them, and they work in the fall/winter with a pair of jeans. They're more comfortable than boots because the heel and the platform aren't that far apart. But, they really are too big for me. I have to wear crazy thick socks if I wear these... it's just not the best idea.

Thursday, I went with my slouchy boots. Normally I prefer to wear these with my skinny jeans, tucked in. Yes, that's one trend that I like. I'd looked for slouchy boots for a while before finally finding these. Of course, they could probably double as pirate boots if that's what I decide on for a Halloween costume sometime. But, since I can only wear jeans on Fridays I went with dress pants, over the boots. Sadly, I didn't enjoy wearing them this time. I think because I prefer to show them off when I wear them, and partly because I was having a crappy day anyway and my feet were hott.


Friday, continued my crappy day from Thursday. And I also wore my Adidas sandals.

I've had them for forever. Since like 8th grade when I played softball. Because clearly, wearing socks with Adidas sandals is cool when you're also wearing your uniform because obviously you can't wear your cleats anywhere but the field. I really don't wear these ever anymore. Partly because they're so old, partly because you have to wear socks with them for probably a week before you can go without socks. The little knobby things, that are probably to help circulation and be comfy, HURT like a bitch! Maybe that contributed to my bad mood on Friday. My feet being on fire from hurting so bad. Yeah, look at them... dirty as all hell, and if you can't tell from the pic of just them... the knobby things under the big toe areas... have all come off! haha

Like I mentioned at the beginning, today was my final day. Not counting the pile of shoes that are headed to a new home. Originally I hadn't planned to include these because I felt that I really don't wear them enough, when I wear them, to include them. However, this morning I did something that I NEVER, in a million years, thought I would have done or even have ever wanted to do. I ran a 5K. Because I wanted to. Not because someone made me do it, or any other reason. Just because I wanted to and because I wanted to know I could. And you know what? I liked it. Yes, I liked it. I've always said that anyone who runs for fun is out of his or her mind! But, it was a pretty great feeling. Yeah, my calves are crazy tight right now and I keep stretching them out, but it's a good hurt. I'm really proud of myself. And my mom. She's the one who told me about it and we did it together. She came in about a minute or so ahead of me and she ran the WHOLE way. I walked a little bit, but ran most of it. So, I felt that because of this I had to include my gym sneakers, my running sneakers.
I like them. And they're really comfortable too. My feet don't hurt at all! When I've run a few times recently, wearing my other sneakers, I get home and there are spots on my feet that my sneakers rubbed on or hurt. But, these are incredibly comfortable. I do need to get new sneakers now. Since I use these primarily when I go to the gym and my other ones I've had for quite a while. Probably 5 or 6 years at this point.

So, here we are. At the end of this journey. I've really enjoyed it all. It's given me a challenge to come up with new outfits for each pair and to make sure I match. Here are a couple pictures of my closet. You've probably wondered at some point where I keep all these shoes when not wearing them...
This is the top shelf in my closet. I keep my heels in their boxes so they don't get ruined. And so that I can find both shoes when I need them. I'm also extremely organized so I like that they're all there and I know which pair is which. I don't know if you can really tell from the picture, but for the most part, they're arranged by the size of the box.
Here's my little shoe rack at the bottom of my closet. You can just barely see the leopard print fuzzy on my slippers. I didn't include my slippers since I only wear them around the house.

And here is the pile of stuff to get rid of...
Seven pairs in boxes, at least another 4 or 5 in the bag. Perhaps I'll wear these all next week...

Shoes-y Q




1 comment:

  1. omg the pierced platforms... pretty sure I used to have the same shoes!!! It's the piercing that I just can't deny. The pictures make me kinda wish I never got rid of them.

    ReplyDelete